CASU2009 Forum Index CASU2009
A forum for past graduates of the College of Agriculture, Serdang, Malaysia

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Borak Borak ......................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke Tan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adeline & Pheh,

I checked through the '68-'69 Serdang Sun to get a picture of the late Abdullah Jusoh. Didn't find any individual pic of him, but there're a couple of group photos of the Rugby team which included him in them.

I'm attaching below the group photo of the Rugby 7-A-Side team, which I extracted and cropped. Hope it'll help you recall what he looked like then.
Regards,
Thean Teik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Chegu Luke,
Thank you. Yes that's the Abdullah I remember. I also remember the drills he put us through even when he was still undergoing the orientation period. Do not recall if he got hell after that.
Peace
Thean Teik
Luke Tan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pheh,

Sad to inform you that Norain passed away yesterday evening (Saturday).
May her soul rest in peace.

Regards.
Thean Teik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening Chegu Luke,
Thanks or no thanks for the sad news ( I don't know what is the correct protocol in this case). May her soul rest in peace. If you or Bee Eng is attending the funeral, please convey our condolence to the family.
Peace
Thean Teik
imelin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi Luke,

Thanks for posting the pic, I remember now. If not mistaken, he had a visible mode on his face.
Thean Teik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helooooo Chegu Luke,
Long time no berita. Hope everything is fine.
Spring is here and have been busy seeding, transplanting and repotting. Finally got a breather.
Peace
Thean Teik
Thean Teik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Chegu Luke,
I thought we had an obituary section. Am I wrong? I was thinking of inserting the names of three CASUans who passed on. I only came to know about their passings lately. One was Tan Sri Ani Arope. He left about three months ago. The other two were of my batch. Zainab Zalil left several months ago while Lim Tiam Soo departed last month.
Peace
Thean Teik
PS. Weather this winter is like a yoyo; well above seasonal averages for a forthnight and then well below for another forthnight. Right now we are in the tank where the high during the day is much colder than the average lows at night. Average low is -12 but yesterday's high was -14
Luke Tan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pheh,

So good to see you here again.

We don't have an Obituary page here. It was in the old Casu website, now closed since 2007.

Following this, Lau Chen Chee created a group in Facebook for Casuans called Kopitiam_Casu in 2010.

Here he posted a copy of the original Obituary page and updated it.

I'm re-posting it here for you, in a new thread titled "Obituary Page - in memory of Casuans who have passed on".

Thanks for the update on your winter weather. We will never know here how it's like to be where you are.

Over here we only know of sun and rain. By the way, the monsoon season has just passed.
We had more rain than seasons past and the east coast states suffered severe floods never seen before in decades.

Looks like the Climate Change is surely upon us everywhere now.

Regards,
Luke
Thean Teik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Chegu Luke,
Thank you for the instant replies. A few months ago, I got zapped and ruined one computer. So I stayed away from all except emai and did not come in to shoot the breeze.
Thanks for the invitation to join FB. I am still very resistant to change. Perhaps I shopuld just write to Chen Chee and let him know, or am I bringing coal to Newcastle? Those in Malaysia should know more about such things than a kongkang like me do.
As humans we have selective memory; either retaining those we like or better things. A good case is we in Edmonton had been (and is still) crying out loud when we had four days of freezing rain last month. The roads and sidewalks were treachorous, skating rings. Everyone moaned the weather had gone to the dogs. You know what, a check on the weather since it was recorded reviewed the city gets an average of 3 days of freezing rain in January, 6 was the record.The weather around the world over the centuries had always come around in circles and cycles. So we just have to lived with it if the climate change is really so drastic that the world is coming to another end. It's rather unfortunate there were no records left when the last overheating took place a few thousand years ago.
Peace
Thean Teik
Luke Tan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pheh,

While I respect your choice to remain resistent to joining us in FB, I still can't help but think you'd be much better off if you would accept and yield to modern-day changes that clearly make life a whole lot better.
We have moved on since the days of your hero Sgt. Preston of the Yukon?

Anyway, it's okay I guess.... that is, if you're happy about it.

Regards,
Luke
Thean Teik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Chegu Luke,
I shall take the liberty of combining your posting under the other thread with this one.
Very wise indeed. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. If you don't believe I'm a rascal, just ask my better half. But, I'm not worried; I told her the day I cannot make any mistake or wrong is the day they tie a tag to my toe.
While others are busy with IPad and IPhone I am busy with Irun and IDMT (I do my things). I donít know how much influence working with the Orang Asli or digesting Ecclesiastes has on me. I run from technology and find simple pleasures in simple things. In summer I garden and give lectures/workshops and in winter I do a little writing. Because of these my use of the computer is limited to Word Processing and Power Point, and emailing. Everything else is above my numb skull. I take pride in my summer activities, not so much my winterís as no one is interested in what I wrote or am working on. Is this also vanity as espoused in Ecclesiastes?
Peace
Thean Teik
PS Because no publisher wanted my writing I self-published 4 horticulture books and sell them at Farmers' Market. Support at FM was not good and now I try to sell them whenever I give workshops because I think I have something to share. Chegu, is this vanity too?
Luke Tan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pheh,

The book of Ecclesiastes can be confusing to the cursory reader, but it contains profound wisdom about life -- although the wise writer himself admits that having wisdom in itself is also vanity, ie. meaningless or transitory.

As I understand it, in essence, the writer is saying that all endeavours of man are inherently meaningless since his life, whether he's wise or foolish ultimately ends in death.
All his actions are therefore useless (vanity) unless they are rooted in God, useless because they will not have a positive bearing on his attaining his final eternal glory.

Hence the book exhorts man to fear God and obey His laws, while allowing/encouraging the enjoyment of the simple pleasures of life -- eating, drinking and enjoying one's work, etc.

In the light of the above, as to whether or not your actions are pure vanity (as per Ecclesiastes), I would think that the answer lies in your asking yourself why you're doing them, not what youíre doing.

You may want to ask yourself if you're motivated by things like greed, selfishness, pride, recognition? - These will result in actions that are definitely meaningless or useless (vanity).

Will the actions bring you any closer to attaining your final destiny? If not, then it's pure vanity.

Hope I've helped you somewhat with some of my thoughts on the matter.

Regards,
Luke
Thean Teik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Chegu Luke,
Thanks for the enlightenment. Yes, to a certain extent, I am guilty.
Peace
Thean Teik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CASU2009 Forum Index -> Common Room All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: